Carroll Community College, in partnership with The Historical Society of Carroll County and Carroll County Public Libraries, will host a Civil War Symposium: Regional Impacts of the Civil War on Saturday, September 28, 2024 at the campus in Westminster, Maryland. The all-day conference will include a keynote address followed by a series of concurrent breakout sessions. Each session will feature an expert presenter speaking on a different topic of the American Civil War and its impact on the region surrounding Carroll County, Maryland.
Symposium organizers are looking for speakers to present at the various breakout sessions. Possible topics that they symposium is interested in exploring include, but are not limited to:
- Battles and campaigns in the region
- Military and Political Leaders in/from the region
- Military units from the area
- Experiences and contributions of black soldiers or other ethnic minorities
- Experiences and contributions of women
- Effects and experiences of local communities
- Medicine, death, or mortuary practices
Presentations at each breakout session should last approximately one hour, including ample time for questions and answers. Audio/visual components to presentations are welcome. Accepted speakers will receive a small honorarium and free admission to the rest of the symposium, including provided meals.
Persons wishing to present at the symposium should fill out the form below no later than March 31.