Historical Society of Carroll County
Baltimore Sun Article for August 12, 2001
25 Years Ago
100th Annual Dutch Picnic—Rains dampened but didn’t interrupt the 100th annual Dutch Picnic Saturday. First held in 1877, the picnic has traditionally enjoyed fair weather. Only two picnics have ever had to be postponed because of rain. The picnic has the reputation of being one of the largest of its kind in the state, attracting in the neighborhood of 4,000 to 5,000 people during past years. A large number of people have attended the Dutch Picnic for every year of their lives. The Herald, August 11, 1976.
50 Years Ago
Talbert Killed in Plane Crash – Second Pilot to be Killed in Carroll County While Spraying Corn Field – Theodore J. Talbert, on leave of absence from the State police, died in a plane crash while he was spraying a corn field at the Myers farm on Emory road off Route 30 in Carroll county at 7 o’clock Wednesday night. He was temporarily employed as a pilot with the Tyler Flight Service of Westminster, police reported, and had taken the leave of absence in order to decide whether he wished to remain with the police or join the flight company. He left the force 24 days ago, and his leave was to expire in five more days. Talbert, who was about 30, lived in Upperco, MD. He joined the State police on November 3, 1947. Democratic Advocate, August 10, 1951.
75 Years Ago
Dick Sipes With Orioles – Dick Sipes, the well known pitcher on the Westminster A. C., was signed up as utility pitcher on the Baltimore International Club. Sipes pitching has attracted quite a lot of comment this year. He has accomplished wonderful results in the past year with his flinging arm. Mr. Sipes started his career with Reese A. C. and from the beginning showed that he had the stuff as a pitcher and big things were predicted of him in future years. From reports he is one of the best amateurs Dunn has started for about two years. He will not get a chance to pitch in any of the league games this year, but will be taken South next Spring where he will be given instructions in the business. Democratic Advocate, August 13, 1926.
100 Years Ago
A six-and-a-half ton boiler, hauled on a wagon along East Main street this city, on Tuesday, by a team of six horses, attracted much attention. Upon inquiry we learned that it was being taken to the pumping station of the Westminster Water Company on the Gorsuch road, just above the Manchester road, where it will be used in pumping the water from the wells recently sunk there, to the mains in this city, thus adding very materially to the water supply furnished by the original plant of the company. It will also be used in connection with the engine for running the new flour and grist mill in course of erection by Mr. George W. Albaugh, which is to have a capacity of 40 barrels of flour per day. The boiler has a capacity of 100 horse power, registered, but the power can be increased about 25 per cent, above that figure. It was manufactured by George F. Motter & Co., of York, Pa. American Sentinel, August 10, 1901.