25 Years Ago

The barn on the Oliver Ridgely farm on West Falls Road just off Rt. 27, north of Mt. Airy, was completely destroyed by flames last Saturday. The alarm was received by the Mt. Airy fire company at 11:30 a.m. from Carroll County Central Alarm. Mt. Airy company responded to the blaze with three engines and 20 men and was assisted by the Winfield Community Fire Co. Fire ground operators were under the direction of First Assistant Chief Edward Browning. When fire equipment reached the farm, the barn was fully enveloped in flames. Firemen were able to remove only a wagon and a few small items from the flames before the intense heat drove them back.  Efforts were then turned to protecting the surrounding buildings and nearby equipment. The barn contained a large amount of baled hay and farm machinery. A self-propelled combine, a small bulldozer and three tractors were among the equipment losses. The loss was estimated at approximately $80,000. Fire apparatus remained at the location until 3:00 p.m. Cause of the fire was undetermined. Community Reporter, January 16, 1970.

50 Years Ago

More Salary Increases For County Office Holders – Bills introduced in the State senate at Annapolis and referred after a first reading to the select committee composed of Senators Shipley, Funk and Warfield include the following: A bill authorizing the county commissioners of Carroll county to levy the sum of $200 each year for a period of five years, beginning with the year 1946, and pay the sum specified to the Historical Society of Carroll County. The act will take effect, if adopted, June 1, 1945. A bill amending the Code of Local laws for Carroll county under the sub-title “Revenue and taxes” increasing salaries so that the collector of state and county taxes be authorized to appoint an assistant and that collector and assistant receive annual salaries not exceeding $2,600 and $1,500, respectively, and neither shall receive any fees or compensation other than the salaries, effective as of June 1, 1945.

75 Years Ago

An inquest was held in the Town Hall before S. J. Brandenburg, acting coroner, late Friday afternoon over the body of Dementio Fabizzio, who was found on the R. R. tracks, a short distance east of town on Friday morning with a gun shot wound in his back. Physicians who made an autopsy, found shot, also the wad. The verdict was that he came to his death from the effects of a gun shot. In view of the fact that his boots were found lying on the bank intact, yet his feet were both mangled, lends strength to the supposition that he was first murdered, then placed on the track to hide the crime. “Monk” Green was arrested and taken to jail Monday evening, also a gun belonging to him, which it is thought was the weapon used in killing the man. A foreigner, who was a boarder in the murdered man’s family, is also in jail on suspicion of having some knowledge of the deed. A preliminary trial will be held in the Town Hall in the near future, probably some day next week.Union Bridge Pilot, January 16, 1920.

100 Years Ago Re-Capture of Joseph Cost –

Joseph Cost, the companion of Charles Wells in escaping from the jail of Carroll county on the night of December 15th, was captured by Constable James P. Carter, of Freedom district, at his home near Oakland Mills at 5 o’clock Friday afternoon, 11th inst., and the key of the county prison turned upon him at 1 o’clock Saturday morning. Constable Carter ascertained that Cost had reached his home Friday morning and determined to effect his capture. He, with three other men, including his son, went thoroughly armed to the house, which they surrounded.
There are two entrances to the house and Officer Carter forced one of them and his son the other, while the other two men kept watch to prevent an escape through a window. As the officer entered Cost retreated to the second story, but his wife, seeing that escape was impossible and resistance useless, induced him to surrender. Cost is reticent concerning most of his movements since his escape, but says that after taking young Hill’s horse and buggy at Mount Pleasant Church and driving to the Western Maryland railroad at Spring Mills, he and Wells followed the main line until they reached Edgemont, and from that point went on to Chambersburg, Pa., and finally to Carlisle, where they parted company on Monday, 31st day of December. Cost worked his way back to his home, only to fall at once into the hands of the officers. His appearance has been very much changed by the removal of his mustache,
which has been shaved off, and Sheriff Arnold did not recognize him until told who he was. Cost says he was tired of tramping around in the snow, exposed to the winter winds, and wanted to see this wife. He stated in the course of conversation that he passed through Westminster on Thursday night, 10th inst., on his way homeward. American Sentinel, January 19, 1895.