June 2, 1996
25 Years Ago
Legion Holds Memorial And Dedication Services – Lt. Col. Alfred Clark, RET., gave the main address at the Memorial Day service of Hampstead American Legion Post 200 Saturday afternoon. The dedication of the new post was also held. The ceremonies were started with a concert by the North Carroll High School Band under the direction of Jack Markert. After the presentation of colors, Marlene Burkett, accompanied at the organ by Gary Goff, sang the “Star Spangled Banner.” Prayers were led by the Post Chaplain, Rev. Arthur Hanson and the opening address was given by John E. Goff, Post Commander. The presentation of colors and Girl Scout Promise were presented by Girl Scout Troops 285, 908, 240 and 486 under the direction of Geraldine Geist, Troop Service Director, D. David Phillips, manager of manufacturing components at Black and Decker, was introduced. Mrs. Shirley Bellusci, president of the Ladies’ Auxiliary of Post 200, presented to the Post Commander the dedication of the new building. During the services, the North Carroll band also performed the march “Proud Heritage”
and “God of our Fathers” and Miss Burkett sang “America” and other selections. The Memorial Day service was closed with the benediction and the placing of the wreath at the improvised shrine. The Carroll Record June 2, 1972.
50 Years Ago
Memorial Day Exercises Held Here – The memorial day parade and exercises were the largest in the history of this event, due to the ending of World War II. Many thousands witnessed the
parade by congregating along our streets. The parade formed at 8:30 a.m. on Belle Grove Square and marched to the Westminster cemetery, where services were held by Rev. Elwood S. Falkenstein, pastor of Grace Lutheran Church, offering invocation; the appropriate address was delivered by Rev. John. R. Cooper, pastor of Ascension Church; Rev. J. Edmund Lippy, pastor of St. Paul’s Reformed Church, said the benediction; children placed memorial wreaths on the graves of the departed comrades. The National Anthem was played by the Westminster Band. The parade was formed and marched as follows: Officer Charles Seipp, Marshall Captain John Magin, Mayor Joseph L. Mathias and Council, Westminster band, color bearers with many flag designs, Veterans of Foreign Wars from World War I and II, Wm. F. Myers & Son band, Women’s Auxiliary, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts and children carrying flowers and flags. A new feature of the parade was a number of colored veterans. Democratic Advocate, May 31, 1946.
75 Years Ago
Commencement Events at Blue Ridge College – The commencement exercises of Blue Ridge College were handicapped this year because of an unfortunate case of sickness which developed
in the dormitories last week. The student body were quarantined by the State Department of Health. This quarantine was lifted Sunday afternoon, and the exercises of Sunday evening were held without hindrance. At six o’clock the Y. W. & Y. M. C. A. held a vesper service on the campus. The program consisted of musical numbers, readings and talks by the students. Following this program the Baccalaureate Sermon was preached by Acting President Ross D. Murphy in the College Auditorium. This service was well attended considering that the quarantine had just been lifted and many people were misinformed concerning the actual conditions under which the order of the State Department had been issued. Professor Murphy chose his text from the first chapter of the book of Joshua, “Being strong and of a Good courage.” Around these words he gathered much wise counsel and encouragement for the graduates who were leaving the institution to meet the actual problems of Christian Citizenship in the era of reconstruction which the world is facing. Union Bridge Pilot, June 3, 1921.
100 Years Ago
Taneytown Items – Memorial Day was observed here as usual, and one of the largest crowds that was ever present on an occasion of that character was in attendance. The parade consisted
of the Mt. Pleasant Band, Washington Camp, P.O. S. of A., of Pleasant Valley, Camp of Mayberry, Camp of Middleburg, school children, soldiers of the late war, Rev. O. C. Roth, Dr. C. Birnie and the Burgess and commissioners, who were in carriages, followed by Washington Camp No. 2, of this place. The procession was formed on Gettysburg street, from whence they marched to the Lutheran Cemetery, and then to the Reformed and decorated the graves of soldiers interred in each. At the latter an address was made by Dr. C. Birnie upon the spot where the old church once stood, in which Frances Scott Key worshipped. Dr. Birnie made a very pleasant address, after which the procession marched to the Catholic cemetery and decorated the graves, and from thence proceeded to the school house, where the exercises were held. These consisted of singing, “America,” by the members of the orders; prayer, by Rev. O. C. Roth, of Baltimore, which was listened to with much interest and was one of the best ever delivered upon an occasion of this kind; music, by the Mt. Pleasant Band; singing, “Gem of the Ocean,” and benediction, by Rev. A. D. Bateman. American Sentinel, June 5, 1896.