March 17, 1996
25 Years Ago
County Officials Have Busy Week – The County Commissioners met in session five days during the week of March 1, in the Board’s continuing effort to make certain changes in the
administration and its procedures of County government. These sessions included several sessions with John Donaho, Consultant to the County, and Treasurer in preparation of certain procedures in budget review for the coming fiscal year as well as a meeting with the Carroll County delegation in Annapolis called for discussing certain legislative needs to fully implement a change in the fiscal program of the county. The Board also took action during the week to accomplish the licensing of plumbers and to establish an advisory board to recommend plumbing, building, and electrical code changes in the future. Representative of the membership of the Carroll County Electrical Association also met with the County commissioners to discuss licensing of electricians. Also on the agenda of the Commissioners were discussions pertaining to bond council requirements in the issuing of general obligation and industrial revenue bonds, discussions with the sheriff and implementing the new lock-up facility, and with the State Roads Commission relative to discussions of the plans proposed for Maryland Route 32 at the New Westminster High School and concerning the implementation of Maryland Route 30 (HampsteadManchester By-pass). Community Reporter, March 12, 1971.
50 Years Ago
THUGS ATTACK WELDON NUSBAUM – Union Mills Citizen Picked-Up Hitch-Hikers Who Assaulted Him; Now In Jail – While enroute from Taneytown to his home in Union Mills Wednesday, Weldon R. Nusbaum, who with his son operates a cannery at Taneytown, was attacked by two hitchhikers whom he had picked up enroute. He was driving along the highway near the Yingling swimming pool at Union Mills when he was suddenly struck on the head by a flashlight in the hands of one, while the other started pummeling him with his fist. Realizing his danger the driver pulled to the side of the road and jumped out of the auto which continued to run until it struck a light. His two assailants ran for a hiding place, but Mr. Nusbaum quickly notified the sheriff and with the aid of state officers and a posse of residents of the community a man hunt was in order and the fugitives were quickly captured. The two prisoners were placed in the jail where they gave their names as Augustave Whitmore and John Gannon, both of Norristown, N.J.. Mr. Nusbaum was removed to his home by a passing motorist, and his injuries were later dressed at the office of Dr. W. G. Speicher. At this time his condition is improved. Democratic Advocate, March 15, 1946.
75 Years Ago
New W. M. Engines – The first of the forty new engines recently purchased by the Western Maryland Railroad company arrived in Hagerstown Saturday. The engine was built at the Baldwin
locomotive works of Eddystone, Pa., and was brought to Hagerstown over the Pennsylvania system. The condition of the river bridge at Harrisburg would not permit the engines to be brought over the P. and R. road as was originally intended. The engines are of a type entirely new on the Western Maryland’s system. They are larger than the 700 type of engines now used almost exclusively on the Western Maryland but are not quite as large as the mallet type. They are of great weight and are of the most powerful consolidation engine in use to-day. More of the engines are expected daily and with their arrival they will be tested between Hagerstown and Cumberland. In the event they prove successful the mallet engines will gradually be pressed out of the service in this section and operated out of Baltimore. Union Bridge Pilot, March 11, 1921.
100 Years Ago
Manchester Items – Between the mad dog and burglar excitement our people are pretty well worked up and the greatest precautions have been taken to secure windows and doors against the midnight intruders. Rifles, muskets, shot-guns and revolvers have been polished up and put in proper trim, even to being loaded for any emergency that may arise. The general impression is that the parties that were in the home of Dr. J. H. Sherman last week were the same parties that forced a window at the home of Jacob Wink, on South Main street, turned his pockets inside out, and took several small articles, but dropped his overcoat on the porch, where it was found next morning. They also tried a front window at the home of Mrs. Susan Tracy. She and her invalid daughter, Miss Ella, occupy a lower room next to the parlor and about midnight Ella heard a noise at the parlor window. She awoke her mother who could see the man outside trying to pry open the window. She called her son-in-law, Mr. H. S. Musselman, who was sleeping upstairs, and no doubt the burglars heard the noise and decamped, the folks inside seeing them hurrying down the street, and soon thereafter a light vehicle drove swiftly out of town. The same evening a strange party went to the home of Dr. J. F. B. Weaver and looked in the window, but when the door was opened by the doctor’s boy, the stranger hurried away and was met on the pavement by a second party and both disappeared up town in the darkness. American Sentinel, March 17, 1896.