March 22, 1998
25 Years Ago
Union Bridge Welcomes POW—On Monday, March 19 a contingent of about 21 persons, including Mayor Richard Stultz and family, former Mayor and Mrs. Edward Williar, Councilmen Richard Grinder and Elwood Myers, VFW Commander Thomas Engle and Robert Myers of Mitchell Transport, accompanied the family of Mr. and Mrs. Peter Drabic of Lightner St. to McGuire Air Force Base in New Jersey to welcome home their son, former prisoner of war Sgt. Peter (Eddie) Drabic. Mayor Stultz greeted Drabic and shook hands with him in the official receiving line. Although there wasn’t time to greet all his well-wishers personally, Eddie seemed pleased by their presence and waved his arms. Commander Engle commented later that he “looked well – looked real good. We were all proud to be there.” The Carroll Record, March 22, 1973.
50 Years Ago
Court House Will Have Anniversary—The celebration of the 111th anniversary of the opening of the Carroll County Court, will be held in the court room on Saturday evening, April 3, at 8
o’clock. Francis Neal Parke, former chief judge and member of the Court of Appeals of Maryland will deliver the address of the evening. The court minutes of April 3, 1837, will be read by Erman A. Shoemaker, clerk of the Circuit Court for Carroll County, followed by the address of Judge Parke. The presentation of the portrait of Charles Carroll of Carrollton, given to Carroll county by The Carroll County Society of Baltimore City will be made by Frank M. Hymiller former president of the Carroll County Society of Baltimore City. Walter V. Bennett, a member of the Board of County Commissioners for Carroll County, will accept the handsome portrait. Chief Judge James E. Boylan, Jr., of the Fifth Judicial Circuit will make the response. Democratic Advocate, March 26, 1948.
75 Years Ago
Opposed To Site At Sykesville—Delegation Before County Commissioners Protest Against Payment For Land—A few weeks ago the School Board had up the question of a High School for the Southern part of the county. The people at Sykesville wanted it and the people of the rest of the territory affected being from Winfield to North Branch wanted it at Eldersburg, which is the geographical center of the territory as well as nearer the center of the school population than Sykesville. They offered a free site with all the ground desired. After a hearing of committees representing each side the School Board decided to build at Sykesville and have entered into a contract for the purchase of a site from Wade H. D. Warfield for several thousand dollars. Democratic Advocate, March 23, 1923.
100 Years Ago
On September 8th, 1895, Mr. F. Sherwood Jordan was put off of a train of the Western Maryland Railroad, at Owings Mills, and has now obtained a verdict in the Superior Court of Baltimore for $2,000 damages in the matter. He testified that he bought a ticket from Westminster to Baltimore, which was taken up before he reached Owings Mills, and, of course, could not produce it when demanded by the conductor, and was ejected from the train. American Sentinel, March 26, 1898.