The Historical Society of Carroll County permits reproductions of images in its collection for a fee. The Society reserves the right to restrict copying of fragile materials that may be harmed by the process. Images are provided for private use only. Possession of an image from the Society’s collection does not constitute permission to use, distribute or publish the image.
Permission to use, distribute or publish the image may be granted by the Society on a case-by-case basis through the completion of a Photo License Agreement.
Please contact please contact our Executive Director, Steve Jakobovic at 410-848-6494 Ext. 202 or ExecDirector@HSCCmd.org for a Photo License Agreement.
Conditions of Permission to Publish
- Permission to publish is granted for one-time, non-exclusive use only in the manner specified in the Photo License Agreement. Any additional or subsequent uses must be applied for in writing and are subject to additional fees. Additional or subsequent uses include but are not limited to: reprints, second editions, foreign language editions, and reformatted versions of printed materials (such as online, video, microfilm, CD, DVD).
- In granting permission to publish, the Society relinquishes neither its right to publish nor to grant permission for others to publish
- Users shall be charged a publication fee in addition to the cost of the Society providing the reproduction. Publication fees support the Society’s mission of preserving the images in its collection. All fees are payable in advance of publication and are non-refundable.
- The copyright law of the United State governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyright material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish reproductions of copyrighted works. One of the specified conditions is that the reproduction is not to be “used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research.” Use of a reproduction for any purpose in excess of such “fair use” may constitute copyright infringement. To avoid copyright infringement, the Society will not provide copies of images contained in copyrighted works or in privately produced works given to the Society for reference purposes. User assumes responsibility for obeying all applicable copyright laws. The Historical Society assumes no responsibility for resolving questions concerning copyright.
- User will not grant permission to third parties to use the image nor provide copies of said image to third parties.
- Full and proper credit must be given for each image published. Normal credit line is: “From the collection of the Historical Society of Carroll County, Maryland.” It is preferred that the credit appear on the same or facing page as the image. Each image must be individually credited.
- User shall not alter the image in any manner including, but not limited to, retouching, tinting, rotating, removal of elements, combining with elements from other images or addition of new elements. The Society prefers that images not be cropped but may grant permission for cropping after reviewing proposed crop.
- User shall provide the Society with two copies of the product in which the image appears.
- Users shall be charged a publication fee in addition to the cost of producing the reproduction. Publication fees support the Society’s mission of preserving the images in its collection. All fees are payable in advance of publication and are non-refundable.
- The Society supports the mission of not-for-profit organizations by providing reduced rates. Reduced fees are applicable only to those organizations able to provide proof of not-for-profit status under the Internal Revenue Service code.
- Reproduction of images in scholarly journals, dissertations, theses, or student papers is not subject to publication fees. Any subsequent publication of said works will incur publication fees.
- All other users will be charged the commercial rate.
- Fees listed below are for use of black and white images provided by the Society. Fees for other media such as color prints, transparencies, digital files, video or film will be negotiated on a case-by-case basis.
- The Society does not license its images for use on the Internet.
Inclusion in books, periodicals or other published works:
- Commercial: $50 for first image / $30 for each additional
- Not-for-profit: $20 for first image / $10 for each additional
Use on paperback covers or dust jackets of hardcover works:
- Commercial: $150
- Not-for-profit: $75
Fee covers one-time, one-use, and non-exclusive use of one specific image. Fee must be paid for each image used and each use (e.g., in a book, on the book’s cover and on an accompanying CD) would require payment of three use fees.