August 25, 1996
25 Years Ago
1-Room School To Be Renewed – A one-room brick school built in 1810 will be formally turned over to a non-profit foundation for restoration at ceremonies in Uniontown Sunday afternoon. Mrs. Maud Stremmel Haines owned the school house until donating it to Historic Uniontown, Inc., a non-profit, educational foundation set up to rehabilitate the school. State Senator Charles H. Smelser (D., Carroll) will be the main speaker at the presentation ceremonies to be held at 2:30 p.m at the school house, which is located a few houses beyond the Lutheran Church on the opposite side in Uniontown. The public is invited. The foundation will restore the school house and school children and others will be allowed to visit it to learn of the past, according to Donald R. Hull, president of the foundation. There are 14 members of the foundation, who will supervise the restoration and who will solicit funds for the
restoration. Democratic Advocate August 26, 1971.
50 Years Ago
MD. HEREFORD ASSOC. TOURS STATE – Visits Farms of Arthur B. Shipley, Near Sykesville – The Maryland Hereford Association made an extensive tour of the state to visit pure bred Hereford cattle farms August 9th. A two-day affair, the tour gave cattle breeders an opportunity of visiting farms on the Eastern and Western shores of the state. After visiting the Eastern shore, they returned to Annapolis where they spent the night. On Sat. they proceeded to the Richard C. Riggs Foxhall Farm at Catonsville. On Saturday afternoon the caravan consisting of 27 cars and a bus arrived at 2 o’clock at the Highland View farms owned by Arthur B. Shipley. There were a number of Western as well as Eastern states represented in the group. Mr. Richard C. Riggs, chairman of the committee, introduced Mr. Shipley who took them for a straw ride to view the fine pure-bred herd and pastures. Mr. Shipley has over 100 pure-breds on his farms. Democratic Advocate, August 23, 1946.
75 Years Ago
Profiteering Coffin Makers to be Jailed – Coffin makers and distributors, who have reaped millions of dollars in extortionate profits from the bereaved, are facing imprisonment. The Government has uncovered enough evidence against the conspirators to warrant indictments in a score of large cities. Among the defendants will be undertakers as well as manufacturers. The Department of Justice has found in a quiet investigation that probably the most vicious of extortion yet disclosed among profiteers is being practiced systematically by the makers of coffins. Coffins that are manufactured in factories at $30 are being sold by undertakers for as high as $600, according to the substantiated charges now before the Department. Coffins of the inexpensive type, make at a cost of about $20, are sold and charges up in funeral accounts at a cost of between $300 and $400. Indictments are probable in many cities where the “coffin trust” has maintained its principal distributing agencies. Union Bridge Pilot, August 26, 1921.
100 Years Ago
The manager of the SENTINEL has received a letter from Mr. Jesse L. W. Baltzley, dated at Springfield Asylum, in which Mr. Baltzley writes that he went from Spring Grove to Springfield, July 15th, and likes it there. In this letter to Mr. Mitten he makes some calculations of the number of ties, rails and spikes in the Western Maryland Railroad which may interest some of our young arithmeticians sufficiently to test their accuracy. He states that there are, to the mile, 2,816 ties, 352 rails, 11,264 spikes and 31 telegraph poles; that the length of the road is 93 miles, making all told, 261,888 ties, 32,736 rails, 1,047,552 spikes and 2,883 telegraph poles, and that the length of the road, in feet, is 491,040. American Sentinel, August 22, 1896.