|“Artifacts Reveal Carroll’s Past”
Carroll County Times article for 12 December 1999
By Jay A. Graybeal
When the Historical Society was founded in 1939, the founders envisioned an institution whose purposes were “to collect and preserve all papers, books, documents or other matter of things pertaining to the history of Carroll County…” and “to create a public interest in the History of Carroll County.” The organization quickly began to amass a wide variety of artifacts donated by local residents. Sixty years later, the Society owns an extensive collection representing all areas of the county and spanning three centuries. Each artifact in the collection tells a story about the people who made and used it and helps us document our rich past.
The Historical Society recently created a new changing exhibition gallery in the Kimmey House, 210 E. Main St. in Westminster. The first exhibit in the new Shriver-Weybright Gallery is Doorway to the Past featuring 160 objects from the Society’s permanent collection. The exhibition received generous financial support from the Carroll County Times, other local businesses and the Community Foundation of Carroll County. The accompanying photographs show a selection of the objects now on display.
|Photo caption 1: Miniature on Ivory of Capt. John More, 1790.
Before the development of photography, the only way to capture someone’s likeness was to paint or draw a portrait. In the 16th century, Italian artists began creating miniature portraits on materials such as parchment or paper. Later, British artists developed a method for using ivory as the base material. Miniaturists required great skill and special tools to produce detailed images on the slippery, uneven surface of a tiny piece of ivory. The finished portrait was enclosed in a case, usually of gold or silver, with glass to protect the fragile image. Miniatures reached the height of their popularity at the end of the 18th and into the early years of the 19th century. By the 1850s, photography had replaced portraiture as the preferred method of capturing a person’s image and miniatures almost completely disappeared. Historical Society of Carroll County collection, gift of Margaret Whittlesey Werling, 1996.
Photo caption 2: Adam Good Tavern Lock, 1760-1790
Photo caption 3: Carroll Guards Shako, 1860.
Photo Caption 4: Eli Bentley Tall Case Clock, 1815.
Photo caption 5: Silhouette, Mrs. John Ross Key, 1820-1830
|The Historical Society’s new exhibition Doorway to the Past is open Tuesday-Saturday (except holidays) from 1:00-4:00 p.m. The Shriver-Weybright Gallery is located at 210 E. Main St., Westminster.|