The cornerstone for Charles Carroll High School was laid in May 1929. At that time, folks placed a selection of items in the cornerstone as a time capsule and they were not discovered until the demolition of the school in 2018. The contractor removed the contents from the hollow stone, placed them in an envelope and turned the envelope over to the Carroll County Commissioners.
On June 30, 2018 a ceremony was held at Union Mills Homestead where Commissioners Stephen Wantz and Dennis Frazier donned white gloves and revealed the well-preserved contents. The papers were turned over to the Historical Society of Carroll County to be scanned and made available to the public. Historical Society employee Catherine Lusher completed the scanning last year as a public service for the Commissioners and the folks around Silver Run.
When a new community center is built on the school site, the materials will be displayed there. Currently, some of the artifacts can be seen in a display case in the lobby of the County Office Building, located at 225 N. Center St., Westminster. The display is available for viewing from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays.
Images of these artifacts also can be seen on the State Library Resource Center’s Digital Maryland site at https://collections.digitalmaryland.org/digital/collection/chcc