“Westminster Celebrates the 4th of July 1925”
Carroll County Times for 28 June 1998
By Jay A. Graybeal
The 4th of July is perhaps the most American of our holidays. Traditionally, the holiday was observed with community events which often included a large dinner. The story about Westminster’s upcoming observance in 1925 was printed in the July 3rd issue of the Westminster American Sentinel newspaper:
The Wear Well Pants Company of this city is behind the Fashion Q. Clothes Athletic Club, and presented the players with the new uniforms. The company employs a large number of operators, most of whom are female, and many of them will be on hand to root for their club.
|A description of the Auto Parade appeared in the following week’s paper:|
The judges were Dr. L. K. Woodward, J. L. Reifsnider, Jr. and George W. Hoff. S. C. Stoner was chairman of the parade committee for the foremen and H. L. Hobby, chairman of the committee for the Chamber of Commerce.
The line-up was as follows: Chief of Police John N. Weigle, Machine Gun, Co. H., 1st Inf. Md. National Guard; Boys on decorated bicycles; Westminster Fire Department, Westminster hook and ladder truck, several novel features of Richardson Brothers; Custin and Smith, American Restaurant, J. L. Mathias, Englar & Sponseller, Fisher Motor Co., Nusbaum & Jordan, Farmers’ Supply, Westminster Hardware Co., DeLaval Cream Separator and farming machinery, D. S. Gehr, hardware; Wehler & King, three Amoco Gas Trucks, Keefer’s Sanitary Grocery, Charles Eckenrode, T. W. Mather and Sons, Inc., Coppersmith’s taxi, Candy Kitchen, Baile Motor Co., New Windsor; Brown, Sandy Mount; Caple, D. R. Geiman, Star Theatre, Osborne, and Erskine & Rudy.
A prize of $25 was awarded to Nusbaum & Jordan for the best decorated float and another of $15 to D. R. Geiman for the best decorated automobile. The awards were donated by the chamber of commerce.
Tomorrow afternoon, evening and night, the Westminster firemen will again hold a festival and bazaar at their building, this city. Last Saturday evening a rainstorm forced them to close up long before a large amount of merchandise etc., had been sold.”
|As noted in the article, the July festivities continued with a community carnival and bazaar sponsored by the Westminster Firemen.|
|Photo caption:||Contestants in the 1925 4th of July parade pass the former St. John’s Roman Catholic Church on E. Main St. The innovative float of Westminster department store Nusbaum and Jordan won the 1st prize of $25. Historical Society of Carroll County collection.|